New products, record FuM.
The Australian ETF industry recorded another strong month of growth, with total industry FuM at the end of April hitting a new high of $28.3B. Growth was relatively evenly split between new inflows (representing 43% or ~$400m) and market value appreciation. Flows were a mirror of last month, with largest inflows into the Australian equities category, along with good flows into Australian bonds, with virtually no outflows recorded at either a category or sub-category level.
- ASX Exchange Traded Funds Market Cap: $28.3B – New record high
- Market cap growth for month: +3.3%, + $900.8m
- Market cap growth for last twelve months: 29.5%, +$6.5B
- New unit growth for month (units outstanding by number): 1.8%
- Net new money (units outstanding by $ value): +$395.7m
- 204 Exchange Traded Products trading on the ASX
- 2 new products launched this month – BetaShares Australian Small Companies Select Fund (managed fund) (ASX: SMLL) and ANZ ETFS Global Technology ETF (ASX: TECH)
- Average trading value down 34% vs. last month’s record month
- European equities (unhedged) the best performers this month
Top 5 category inflows (by $) – April 2017
|Australian Equities||$ 116,022,341|
|International Equities||$ 113,757,770|
|Fixed Income||$ 82,818,315|
|Australian Listed Property||$ 12,453,290|
Comment: The largest inflows were recorded in the Australian equities and Australian bonds categories, with virtually no outflows recorded at either a category or sub-category level.
Top category outflows (by $) – April 2017
Comment: No outflows at a broad category level.
Top sub- category inflows (by $) – April 2017
|Australian Equities – Broad||$ 82,979,771|
|Australian Bonds||$ 54,651,187|
|International Equities – Developed World||$ 46,042,747|
|Global Bonds||$ 28,167,128|
Top sub- category outflows (by $) – April 2017
|Australian Equities – Geared||($ 4,415,085)|
|Australian Equities – Large Cap||($ 2,24,666)|