Industry Breaks the $40B Barrier
The Australian ETF industry grew very strongly in August reaching a new record high of $41.5B. The industry grew a rapid 3.7% in the month ($1.5B), 2/3 of which was driven by asset appreciation particularly in the U.S. sharemarket. Read on for details of the month in ETFs.
- ASX Exchange Traded Funds Market Cap: $41.47B – new record high
- Market cap growth for month: 3.7%, + $1.49M
- Market cap growth for the last 12 months: 34%, + $10.6B
- New unit growth for month (units outstanding by number): +2.5%
- Net new money (units outstanding by $ value): +$549.9 M
Comment: Net inflows remained strong not withstanding the asset growth with ~$550m of net new money flowing into the industry.
- 231 Exchange Traded Products trading on the ASX
Comment: For the second month in a row no new products were launched – however a number of new product announcements were made in the month, so we continue to expect a number of new funds to be launched by year end.
- Trading value +15% on previous month
- Technology exposures were the top performers in August led by the BetaShares Global Cybersecurity ETF (ASX: HACK) which returned 12.8%, followed by BetaShares Nasdaq 100 ETF (ASX: NDQ) with 9% return
Top 5 Category Inflows (by $) – August 2018
|Australian Listed Property||$15,467,172|
Comment: As has been the case for each of the 8 months so far this year, international equities continued to be the largest category for inflows, with the second largest category once again being fixed income, which this month >$180m.
Top Category Outflows (by $) – August 2018
Comment: Net outflows were relatively limited this month, with some outflows in broad Australian equities. In addition, US dollar investors continued to take profits as the AUD weakened further.
Top Sub-Category inflows (by $) – August 2018
|International Equities – Developed World||$182,535,994|
|International Equities – Sector||$52,275,416|
|International Equities – US||$41,412,153|
Top Sub-Category Outflows (by $) – August 2018
|Australian Equities – Broad||($72,264,096)|
|Australian Equities – High Yield||($13,447,192)|
|Australian Equities – Large Cap||($7,446,840)|
|International Equities – Europe||($5,062,768)|