Reading time: 3 minutes
INDUSTRY CONTINUES GROWTH TRAJECTORY IN A TOUGH MONTH FOR SHARES
In what was a tough month for equities, the Australian ETF industry continued to grow, and ended the month at an all-time high of $54.1B in funds under management (FuM), with a monthly market cap increase of 1.5% (+$784m). Read on for more details.
Australian ETP Market Cap: July 2001 – August 2019
Source: ASX, BetaShares
- ASX Exchange Traded Product Market Cap: $54.1B – New industry record
- Market cap increase for month: 1.5%, +$784M
- Market cap growth for the last 12 months: 31%, + $12.6B
- Unit growth for month (units outstanding by number): +3.0%
- Net new money for month (units outstanding by % value): +$1.2B
Comment: 100% of the industry’s growth derived from net flows, which amounted to $1.2B, with market declines generating a drag of ~$400m on the industry’s total growth.
- 247 Exchange Traded Products trading on the ASX – 3 new products launched including the BetaShares India Quality ETF (ASX: IIND).
- Trading value increased 12% to reach an all-time high in monthly trading ($5.3B).
- With the continued strong performance in gold exposures, the best performing product this month was BetaShares Global Gold Miners ETF – Currency Hedged (ASX: MNRS), followed by physical silver, physical platinum and physical gold
Comment: With continued tensions in the China-USA Trade wars and concerns over the macro environment, for the second month in a row, it was precious metal and gold exposures that were the top performers.
Top 5 category inflows (by $) – August
Top category outflows (by $) – August
Top sub-category inflows (by $) – August
|International Equities – Developed World||$156,216,424|
|Australian Equities – Broad||$83,833,963|
Top sub-category outflows (by $) – August
|International Equities – U.S.||($20,451,136)|
|International Equities – Emerging Markets||($11,611,255)|
|International Equities – Europe||($9,432,368)|
|Australian Equities – Resources Sector||($2,887,140)|