November in the ETF industry was big! And not just big but BIG! November broke essentially every record I can think of: a) All time record FuM; b) Record $ monthly FuM growth; c) Record monthly $ net inflows; and d) All time highest monthly value traded. Told you it was big!
The Australian ETF total industry FuM at the month end was $35.5B, a growth rate of 6.0% or monthly growth of $2B. While asset growth provided approximately 35%, the majority came from net new money into the industry which amounted to a record $1.3B.
- ASX Exchange Traded Funds Market Cap: $35.5B – new record high!
- Market cap growth for year: +6.0%, +$2010.4m – Record monthly FuM growth
- Market cap growth for the last 12 months: 44.2%, +$10.9B
Comment: As per the numbers above, the industry grew by a full $2B this month. If you look at the chart of the industry’s growth you will see a very noticeable increase in the incline of the slope. The industry is truly going from strength to strength.
- New unit growth for year (units outstanding by number): 3%
- Net new money (units outstanding by $ value): +$1285.3m – Record monthly $ net inflows
- 222 Exchange Traded Products trading on the ASX
- 6 new products launched – BetaShares Active Australian Hybrids Fund (managed fund) (ASX: HBRD), BetaShares Australian Sustainability Leaders ETF (ASX: FAIR); 4 new diversified multi-asset ETFs launched by Vanguard
- Average trading value up 38% month on month – record level of monthly trading in ETPs ($3.7B)
- Global and US equities the best performers this month, as well as Australian Property Securities
Top 5 category inflows (by $) – November
|Australian Equities||$ 825,514,283|
|International Equities||$ 354,442,630|
|Fixed Income||$ 134,177,684|
|Australian Listed Property||$ 12,294,879|
Top category outflows (by $) – November
Top sub-category inflows (by $) – November
|Australian Equities – Broad||$ 617,461,524|
|Australian Bonds||$ 131,104,430|
|International Equities – Developed World||$ 120,531,638|
|International Equities – Sector||$ 74,893,843|
|Australian Equities – High Yield||$ 56,000,514|
Top sub-category outflows (by $) – November
|Soft Commodities||($ 329,210)|