The Australian exchange traded fund industry hit a new all-time high in August of $23.6 billion in funds under management (FUM). The industry gained a modest 1% (or $220 million) in FUM, building on the positive growth from July, which had marked the previous record.
Market Size & Growth
- ASX Exchange Traded Funds Market Cap: $23.6B – New all-time record
- Market cap growth for month: +0.9%, +$219.9m
- Market cap growth for last twelve months: 22.5%, +$4.4B
- New unit growth for month (units outstanding by number): +4.5%
- Net new money (units outstanding by $ value): +$280.1m
Comment: In a month where global markets either dipped or went sideways, 100% of the industry’s growth was attributable to net inflows (i.e. as opposed to asset growth)
- 184 Exchange Traded Products trading on the ASX
- 5 new products launched this month
Comment: We added three new funds to our BetaShares Global Sector Series- BetaShares Global Banks ETF – Currency Hedged (BNKS), BetaShares Global Agriculture ETF – Currency Hedged (FOOD), BetaShares Global Healthcare ETF – (DRUG). In addition Australia’s first actively managed multi-asset exchange traded product was launched, AMP Capital’s DMKT which was followed by another multi-asset product from a new exchange traded issuer, fund manager Schroders.
Average trading value increased 12% month on month
Top 5 category inflows (by $) – August 2016
Top category outflows (by $) – August 2016