Industry starts the year slowly, product development continues.
The ETF industry took a rare pause in its growth trajectory in the first month in 2017, with the industry ending the month at $25.2 B – slightly down on the industry’s record level set in December. Total funds under management reduced $521m although virtually all of this was related to market movements (rather than results of net outflows).
- ASX Exchange Traded Funds Market Cap: $25.2B – slightly down on record from December
- Market cap growth for month: -2.0%, -$521.3m
- Market cap growth for last twelve months: 23.5%, +$4.8B
- New unit growth for month (units outstanding by number): 0.5%
- Net new money (units outstanding by $ value): -$30.2m
- 201 Exchange Traded Products trading on the ASX
Comment: Three new products launched this month, BetaShares Global Sustainability Leaders ETF (ASX: ETHI), BetaShares Strong Australian Dollar Fund (hedge fund) (ASX: AUDS) and the BetaShares Strong U.S Dollar Fund (hedge fund) (ASX: YANK).
- Average trading value remained stable vs. last month
- Best performers this month were BetaShares Global Gold Miners ETF (currency hedged) (ASX: MNRS), and VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF.
Top 5 category inflows (by $) – January 2017
|Fixed Income||$ 42,285,737|
|International Equities||$ 31,532,432|
|Australian Listed Property||$ 8,056,951|
Comment: Highest inflows at a category level were recorded in Fixed Income, an area we continue to believe will grow strongly over the course of the year.
Top category outflows (by $) – January 2017
|Australian Equities||($ 165,728,067)|
Top sub- category inflows (by $) – January 2017
|International Equities – Developed World||$ 37,832,219|
|Australian Bonds||$ 25,224,657|
|International Equities – Ethical||$ 20,430,940|
|Australian Equities – Short||$ 18,958,040|
Top sub- category outflows (by $) – January 2017
|Asutralian Equities – Broad||($ 115,622,741)|
|International Equities – Asia||($ 43,754,842)|
|Australian Equities – Large Cap||($ 34,889,067)|
|Australian Equities – Financials Sector||($ 16,699,837)|
|Australian Equities – Geared||($ 9,777,012)|