The Australian exchange traded fund industry recorded its largest month of growth by value in July, increasing $1.3 billion (7%) to reach a new record high of $19.7 billion in funds under management.
Approximately $700 million (55%) of the industry’s growth over the month came from new money inflows, with the remainder driven by strong equity market growth.
- ASX Exchange Traded Funds Market Cap: $19.7B – New record high
- Market cap growth for month: +7.0%, +$1,278.8m – largest $ value growth on record
- Market cap growth for last twelve months: +60.3%, +$7.5B
Comment: The new financial year brought with it new records. This month was the largest $ value growth recorded to date in the industry – a record we expect to see repeatedly broken in the future.
- New unit growth for month (units outstanding by number): +6.6%
- Net new money (units outstanding by $ value): +$700.1m
- 139 Exchange Traded Products trading on the ASX
- 1 new product launched – K2 Global Equities Fund (KII)
Average trading value increased 5% month on month
Global Consumer Staples and BetaShares Nasdaq 100 ETF (NDQ) were the best performing products this month
Top 5 category inflows (by $) – July
|International Equities – Developed||$223,468,973|
|Aus. Equities – Broad||$172,186,833|
|International Equities – Emerging Markets||$81,269,485|
|Aus. High Yield||$80,071,283|
|International Equities – Global||$77,203,535|
Comment: International equities were once again the dominant product category, constituting over 50% of the month’s inflows, with particularly strong flows to emerging markets equities.
Top category outflows (by $) – July
|Aus. Equities – Small Cap||($2,416,237)|
Comment: Outflow activity was relatively low through the month, with net outflows restricted to the resources sector and Australian small cap exposures only.