We respect your privacy and understand how important it is for you to know how we deal with your personal information.
We are committed to compliance with the Privacy Act 1988 and Australian Privacy Principles.
Collection of personal information
We will collect personal information about you during your interaction with us, for example when you invest in a Betashares fund, visit the Betashares website, contact us by email or phone or when you interact with us during a webinar or other event. Additionally, we may collect personal information about you from data list providers when you have consented to them disclosing your information.
The information we collect depends on how you interact with us. For example:
- if you visit Betashares’ website or related webpages, to browse, download or request information, our system will record data including the date and time of your activities, information viewed, downloaded or requested.
- if you interact with us in relation to a webinar, podcast, live event or similar, we will maintain record of your preferences and the information provided to us during this interaction.
- when you invest in a Betashares fund, your name, postal address, HIN and other information required to maintain the account is collected.
- if you enter information on a Betashares website on-line form, the information will only be recorded if you complete the submission process; that is, if you click on the “submit” button. If you do not submit the form, the information is not transmitted to our system.
It is not Betashares’ intention to collect ‘sensitive information’ (as defined in the Privacy Act 1988). In the event such information is collected, it will only be used or disclosed for a purpose connected to Betashares’ business and permitted by law.
Cookies are also used as part of the security mechanism for Betashares website, and related pages’ secure area.
Use and disclosure of information
We will only use or disclose information collected about you for:
- the purpose made clear to you
- a purpose required, authorised or permitted by, or under any law (such as the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing Act 2006), or a purpose otherwise authorised by you
- a purpose you would reasonably expect.
The use and disclosure of your personal information will only ever relate to:
- delivering the best possible service and relevant information to you
- legal and regulatory requirements
- your Betashares fund unitholding
- our product and service offerings.
In connection with the above, your personal information may be used for these purposes (without limitation):
- monitoring and evaluating Betashares’ products and services
- statistical, risk management and research purposes
- assisting with fund investment-related queries
- marketing and client communication purposes
- administering your investment holdings
- building investor profiles
- to complete regulatory related verification requirements, including as it relates to the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing Act 2006
- taking measures to detect and prevent fraud, identity theft or other illegal activities.
We may also provide you with further information and marketing material relating to the products and services provided by us, unless you specifically request otherwise.
We may monitor and record interactions for training, account management and security purposes.
Betashares and its service providers are based in Australia. However, we may disclose your personal information to a recipient located outside of Australia. This will apply where our respective service provider either has an international presence or otherwise stores relevant information overseas.
Betashares fund unitholders
Your personal information is collected in the course of managing the Betashares fund/s you have invested in.
Some information must be collected for the purposes of compliance with relevant law, such as the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing Act 2006.
We may provide your personal information to our service providers for specific purposes such as account administration and the production and mailing of statements (e.g. to Link Market Services in the capacity as unit registry). We may also use your personal information for internal purposes, or provide such information to our service providers, in connection with improving our products and services (including companies conducting market research). Additionally, we may use your personal information to keep you informed of our products and services.
We take all reasonable steps to protect the information we hold about you.
We maintain strict security standards and procedures with a view to preventing unauthorised access to your data, including the use of data encryption, firewalls and server authentication.
If we no longer need your information, we will take reasonable steps to securely destroy it, or otherwise ensure that you cannot be identified by it.
Access and updating your information
If at any time you wish to know what information we hold about you, request that we correct or delete information we hold about you or want to opt out of receiving marketing material, please contact our client services via:
Telephone: +1300 487 577 (within Australia) +61 2 9290 6888 (outside Australia) or
Post: Level 6, 50 Margaret St, Sydney NSW 2000.
Alternatively to unsubscribe from our marketing list you may use our communication preference centre.
If you believe that information relating to your Betashares fund incorrect (e.g. address or bank details), please contact our unit registry, Link Market Services, to amend on 1300 554 474.
If you believe your personal information has been inappropriately handled or used by us, please lodge a complaint via email@example.com or contact client services on +1300 487 577 (within Australia) +61 2 9290 6888 (outside Australia).
A copy of our Complaints Handling Policy is available upon request at no charge.
If we are unable to resolve the complaint, or it has not been satisfactorily addressed, you may lodge the complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC):
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Phone 1300 363 992
Relevant details on OAIC’s complaints handling process is available here: https://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/privacy-complaints/