What are international ETFs?
An ETF is an investment fund, similar to a traditional managed fund, but bought and sold on a stock exchange just like any share. ETFs aim to closely track the performance of an index or asset class, and provide the returns of that index or asset class – less any fees. International ETFs enable you to invest in overseas markets and sectors by tracking a particular index. For example, an international ETF could track:
- A country-specific index e.g. F100 FTSE 100 ETF , which aims to track the price and income performance (before fees and expenses) of the largest 100 companies traded on the London Stock Exchange, based on their market capitalisation
- A regional index e.g. HEUR Europe ETF – Currency Hedged , which aims to track the performance of globally competitive eurozone companies
- A global index e.g. QLTY Global Quality Leaders ETF , which aims to track the performance of 150 global companies ranked by highest quality score
- A global sector index e.g. NDQ NASDAQ 100 ETF , which aims to track the performance of the Nasdaq-100 Index. Another example is our HACK Global Cybersecurity ETF , which aims to track the performance of the leading companies in the global cybersecurity sector
Are international ETFs a good investment?
The Australian sharemarket is heavily concentrated, with significant weightings in particular to the financial and resources sectors. As a result, many Australian investors hold portfolios that are not well-diversified.
There are a number of other sectors that have strong growth potential on a global scale, but which are under-represented on the ASX and so traditionally have been difficult for Australian investors to access directly. Sectors such as healthcare, technology and cybersecurity offer significant growth potential as the global population and life expectancy rises and as our lives increasingly turn online. However, few Australian companies operate in these sectors.
For Australian investors looking to gain exposure to these sectors, ETFs available on the ASX include the NDQ NASDAQ 100 ETF or HNDQ NASDAQ 100 ETF – Currency Hedged and the HACK Global Cybersecurity ETF .
- Diversification – International ETFs enable you to buy a basket of assets or shares in a single trade
- Easy to trade – You can buy and sell international ETFs on the ASX just like any other share, allowing you to easily invest in overseas markets, which can be difficult or expensive to access directly. Investing directly in individual international shares can be more complicated, because you must trade on an overseas exchange, use a broker that offers overseas share trading services and pay in foreign currency.
- Transparent – Information relating to ETFs, including underlying portfolio holdings and fees, can be accessed at any time via the fund manager’s website. You can also check the net asset value (NAV) of an international ETF daily to track the performance of the underlying assets and to see if the price of the ETF is close to the NAV.
- Currency risk – Currency fluctuations can affect your investment return from an international ETF. However, many Betashares international ETFs are ‘currency hedged’, which reduces the impact of exchange rate movements.
- Country risk – International ETFs provide exposure to non-Australian sharemarkets which are susceptible to risks associated with the countries in which they operate including political and regulatory risk.
Does investing in a Betashares International ETF mean extra paperwork?
All Betashares Funds are Australian-domiciled, which means there is no additional paperwork or administration when you buy any of our international funds. You are not required to complete US W8-BEN forms or risk any estate tax implications, both of which are a possibility when investing in non-Australian domiciled (or “cross-listed”) ETFs.
Explore our international ETF range
Asia Technology Tigers ETF
Exposure to the 50 largest Asian technology companies (ex-Japan)
Australian Financials Sector ETF
Gain exposure to the biggest companies in Australia’s financials sector
Australian Resources Sector ETF
Gain exposure to the biggest companies in Australia's resources sector
Betashares Martin Currie Emerging Markets Fund (managed fund)
Access a portfolio of companies in the world’s fastest-growing economies
Climate Change Innovation ETF
Invest in companies leading the transition to a low carbon economy
Cloud Computing ETF
Gain exposure to global cloud computing companies
Crude Oil Index ETF – Currency Hedged (Synthetic)
A simple way to gain exposure to crude oil futures
Digital Health and Telemedicine ETF
Exposure to a portfolio of leading global digital healthcare companies
Electric Vehicles and Future Mobility ETF
Exposure to a portfolio of leading global innovators in automative technology
Europe ETF – Currency Hedged
Access a portfolio of globally competitive Eurozone stocks
FTSE 100 ETF
Access a portfolio of 100 blue-chip companies on the London Stock Exchange
Future of Food ETF
Exposure to innovative companies in food production and supply
Future of Payments ETF
Gain exposure to leading companies innovating in the global payments sector
Geared U.S. Equity Fund – Currency Hedged (hedge fund)
Geared exposure to the US sharemarket
Global Agriculture Companies ETF – Currency Hedged
Invest in a portfolio of the world's leading agriculture companies
Global Banks ETF – Currency Hedged
Exposure to the largest global banks (ex-Australia) in a single trade
Global Cybersecurity ETF
Access the world's leading cybersecurity companies
Global Energy Companies ETF – Currency Hedged
Access a portfolio of the world’s largest energy companies
Global Gold Miners ETF – Currency Hedged
Invest in a portfolio of the world's leading gold mining companies
U.S. Treasury Bond 20+ Year ETF – Currency Hedged
Generate income and defend your portfolio with long-dated US Treasury bonds
Global Healthcare ETF – Currency Hedged
Invest in a portfolio of the world's leading healthcare companies
Global Income Leaders ETF
Generate attractive income from a diversified portfolio of global shares
Global Quality Leaders ETF
Invest in a portfolio of 150 global companies ranked by highest quality score
Global Quality Leaders ETF – Currency Hedged
Currency-hedged exposure to 150 global companies ranked by highest quality score
Global Robotics and Artificial Intelligence ETF
Access a portfolio of the world’s leading robotics and AI companies.
Global Sustainability Leaders ETF
Invest in a portfolio of ethically-screened global securities
Global Sustainability Leaders ETF – Currency Hedged
Currency-hedged exposure to ethically-screened global securities
Global Uranium ETF
Access leading companies in the global uranium industry
India Quality ETF
Gain exposure to a portfolio of high quality Indian companies
Japan ETF – Currency Hedged
Access a portfolio of globally competitive Japanese stocks
Managed Risk Global Share Fund (managed fund)
Diversified global shares exposure, with opportunity for reduced volatility
Invest in companies involved in building, developing and operating the Metaverse
NASDAQ 100 ETF
Invest in the NASDAQ-100 in a single trade
NASDAQ 100 ETF – Currency Hedged
Currency hedged exposure to the NASDAQ-100 in a single trade
Online Retail and E-Commerce ETF
Invest in the world’s leading e-commerce companies
S&P 500 Equal Weight ETF
Invest in an equally weighted portfolio of 500 leading US companies
S&P 500 Yield Maximiser Fund (managed fund)
Earn enhanced income from a diversified portfolio of US shares
Exposure to a portfolio of leading global companies in the solar energy industry
Sustainability Leaders Diversified Bond ETF – Currency Hedged
A portfolio of high-quality bonds that meet stringent ethical standards
U.S. Equities Strong Bear Hedge Fund – Currency Hedged
Opportunity to profit from, or protect against a declining U.S. sharemarket
Video Games and Esports ETF
Exposure to a portfolio of leading global video gaming and esports companies
Regional & Country Exposure